What is cervical factor infertility?

Grant L. Campbell, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
The cervix is the lowest portion of the uterus. The cervix produces clear and watery mucus at ovulation allowing sperm to pass into the uterus. Cervical factor infertility is a rare cause of infertility; however, prior cervical surgery (cervical biopsy, cone biopsy, loop electrosurgical excision procedure [LEEP], freezing and/or laser treatments for abnormal Pap smears, for instance) may contribute to cervical factor infertility. There are no predictive tests for it. Post-coital testing -- taking a sample of mucus during ovulation to evaluate for cervical factor -- is poor at predicting true cervical abnormalities and isn't routinely performed. Typically, intrauterine sperm insemination (IUI) to bypass any potential cervical factors is recommended.

Continue Learning about Female Infertility

What is female infertility?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Female infertility is the difficulty of getting pregnant or staying pregnant. According to the Cente...
What is unexplained infertility?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
It is estimated that up to 10 percent of couples with infertility will have no explanation, a situat...
How Will My OB/GYN Treat Infertility?
How Will My OB/GYN Treat Infertility?
What Health Risks Are Associated with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)?