What is the difference between love and hate?

Erik Fisher
For many of us, we have been taught that the opposite of love is hate. The more that I have come to understand emotions, I would have to disagree with this long held belief. I see love and hate, back to back to each other at times, looking in different directions, and if love turned to hate to embrace it, hate would still need to look away. I see that we often feel hatred to protect us from the fear of not feeling lovable and/or from seeing our own flaws and inadequacies that are based in our judgments and others which often leave us feeling unloved. This is not opposite, Hate is just protective.

Continue Learning about Feelings & Emotions in Relationships

Feelings & Emotions in Relationships

Your feelings, emotions and relationships all have a big effect on your physical health. When you feel stressed out and anxious, your immune system is weakened and you are at risk for getting colds and other infections. You can al...

so have physical symptoms of stress including weight gain or loss, upset stomach, back pain, chest pain, constipation or diarrhea, headaches and insomnia (being unable to sleep). If you are having any of these symptoms, you should have an honest discussion with your doctor. You may have a major depression that needs to be treated.