What is the difference between love and hate?

Erik Fisher
For many of us, we have been taught that the opposite of love is hate. The more that I have come to understand emotions, I would have to disagree with this long held belief. I see love and hate, back to back to each other at times, looking in different directions, and if love turned to hate to embrace it, hate would still need to look away. I see that we often feel hatred to protect us from the fear of not feeling lovable and/or from seeing our own flaws and inadequacies that are based in our judgments and others which often leave us feeling unloved. This is not opposite, Hate is just protective.

Continue Learning about Feelings & Emotions in Relationships

Are You Hungry for Relationships?
Are You Hungry for Relationships?
When Bruce Springsteen croons “everybody’s got a hungry heart,” you can feel how desperate a person can be for love. So it’s not surprising that psych...
How do resentments hurt people?
Brad LammBrad Lamm
Stepping through an egregious wrong and coming out the other side is imperative at some point. A...
How can I move higher in life?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Ultimately, what we seek with each other is connection - not at the base ego level where we spend mo...
How Has the Rise of Social Networks Impacted Your Research on Social Relationships?