What are some benefits of talking about myself to others?

Experts suggest that self-disclosure procures adaptive advantages in a number of ways: by strengthening social bonds with others, by eliciting feedback from others to attain self-knowledge, or by showing others that you want to know what they know ("I got this on my exam. What did you get?"). Our need to self-disclose to the point of oversharing is mere proof of how social we are as a species.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Feelings & Emotions in Relationships

Are You Hungry for Relationships?
Are You Hungry for Relationships?
When Bruce Springsteen croons “everybody’s got a hungry heart,” you can feel how desperate a person can be for love. So it’s not surprising that psych...
Why should I talk with my partner about money before we get married?
Too often, it seems that we treat money issues as some taboo topic. We can't talk about our financia...
How can I tell my spouse what's bothering me?
Kathy SowderKathy Sowder
If you are anxious about talking to you spouse about what is bothering you, practice ahead of time, ...
Why Are Social Networks Important to Healthcare?