Why is body language so important in a relationship?

Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
Marriage & Family Therapy Specialist

Body language is important in a relationship because it shows how the person is handling emotion. Body language is important, but not as important as being able to read each other’s faces. That requires attention, presence, and interest. Body language can be misleading if you don’t how to read a face. Generally speaking, the face is what shows emotion and the body shows how the person is handling emotion.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

A wink, a hair stroke, crossed arms - every non-verbal move or action goes a long way toward communicating whether we want you to hang around or get the hell out of our face. When you consider that 90 percent - 90? - of our communication is conveyed non-verbally, then you realize that how we gesture is as powerful as what we say (The two parts of the brain that control this kind of communication are the amygdala and the cingulate gyrus, for those of you scoring at home). Truth is, women are much better at picking up and using signals than men, so women, help your man better read your signals. Reading body language correctly can help head off problems and help you better communicate verbally, rather than letting issues fester.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Feelings & Emotions in Relationships

Laughter and Love
Laughter and Love
“When you’re laughing, when you’re laughing, the sun comes shining through” are lyrics to the song When You’re Smiling, immortalized by Louis Armstron...
Can gratitude improve my relationship with my partner?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
Gratitude is the opposite of misery. That is why miserable people are never grateful. Their glass is...
Should I dredge up old feelings?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
It is not necessary to feel every old feeling and re-experience every old pain and trauma. Trying to...
Are There Positives in How Our Relationships Affect Our Health?