Do I need to change my behavior to have good relationships?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

One of the fundamental truths of just about every human interaction is that we cannot change other people. This is a tough one. We all think that if we can get our spouse, parent, boss, friendly IRS agent to see the situation from our perspective - or we can make the repercussions of their behavior painful enough, or we can manipulate them into feeling guilty-they will stop doing whatever it is that is driving us crazy, and everything will be fine.

Maybe you do not feel this way. Maybe you do not give a rat's whisker about anyone else's choices. If so, I applaud you. You are highly evolved and are probably a monk who does not speak to other people anyway. However, if you are anything like me, this is an ongoing source of frustration in just about every relationship. It is not, however, a hopeless situation. For a mere $19.99, you too can purchase the "zap collar". . . Not really, but it was on my list. Sadly, the only real solution lies in modifying your own behavior.

Continue Learning about Feelings & Emotions in Relationships

Are You Hungry for Relationships?
Are You Hungry for Relationships?
When Bruce Springsteen croons “everybody’s got a hungry heart,” you can feel how desperate a person can be for love. So it’s not surprising that psych...
What is the honeymoon phase of a relationship?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
The honeymoon phase of a relationship is the beginning of a relationship when both partners are esse...
How can I tell my spouse what's bothering me?
Kathy SowderKathy Sowder
If you are anxious about talking to you spouse about what is bothering you, practice ahead of time, ...
How Can Being in a Sexless Partnership Affect My Health?