How can my husband’s emotions affect mine?

Though scientists don't fully understand what causes it, they do know that when some women witness their spouse's bad moods, "mirror neurons" in their brains become activated and recreate the emotions of their mate in their own minds. It's an evolutionary response that helps us understand our mates' nonverbal cues and emotional state, but taking on too much of your partner's troubles can wreak havoc on your health. Depression depletes your immune system and can increase your risk for cardiovascular events.

Continue Learning about Feelings & Emotions in Relationships

Are You Hungry for Relationships?
Are You Hungry for Relationships?
When Bruce Springsteen croons “everybody’s got a hungry heart,” you can feel how desperate a person can be for love. So it’s not surprising that psych...
What is the honeymoon phase of a relationship?
Dr. Emily NagoskiDr. Emily Nagoski
The honeymoon phase is made of attachment—the wildly powerful biological experience we tend to call ...
How can I keep romance alive?
Over the years, it can be easy to fall into a romantic rut with your partner. With everyday stresses...
How Has the Rise of Social Networks Impacted Your Research on Social Relationships?