What is incontinence?

Incontinence is a condition where a person is unable to control their urine or bowel movements.

In general terms, incontinence is the inability to restrain discharges or evacuations. In regards to medicine, this is typically referring to natural discharges such as urine from the bladder or feces from the intestines. It can be caused by many different factors and should be discussed with your doctor if you are suffering from this condition.

Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Incontinence is the involuntary loss of urine or stool.

Continue Learning about Fecal Incontinence

What can I do if I have bowel incontinence?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
See your doctor to determine the cause of bowel incontinence. Treatment will depend on the cause and...
What is fecal incontinence?
Dr. Lisa Rogo-GuptaDr. Lisa Rogo-Gupta
Fecal incontinence is when you cannot control your stool or gas. It is less common than urinary inco...
What are the misconceptions about accidental bowel leakage (ABL)?
ABLinfo.orgABLinfo.org
A common misconception about accidental bowel leakage (ABL) is that many people think it is a diseas...
A Different Kind of Incontinence
A Different Kind of Incontinence