What is encopresis (soiling)?

Encopresis is a significant form of constipation that's often misdiagnosed at home and undertreated. Encopresis is when constipation is so bad, kids are no longer passing stools because they have a blockage of stool. So what we doctors see with those kids is liquid stool, or skid marks in their underwear that parents think is loose stool, the kid had diarrhea, the teacher thinks the kid smells kind of bad, and the kid is embarrassed but doesn't understand the problem.

So if your kid is having frequent soiling of their underpants (which typically happens in grade-school kids), and sometimes has abdominal pain or sometimes doesn't, I think that's something that absolutely would warrant a trip to the pediatrician to try to figure out what's going on.

Continue Learning about Fecal Incontinence

How does accidental bowel leakage (ABL) affect men?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Accidental bowel leakage (ABL) affects men equally with women, unlike urinary incontinence (leaky bl...
What is fecal incontinence?
Fecal incontinence is a lack of control over bowel movements. It causes stool to leak from the rectu...
Why should I keep a diary for accidental bowel leakage (ABL)?
ABLinfo.orgABLinfo.org
Accidental bowel leakage (ABL) is different for everyone, and for many people diet plays a role in t...
A Different Kind of Incontinence
A Different Kind of Incontinence