What are the misconceptions about accidental bowel leakage (ABL)?

A common misconception about accidental bowel leakage (ABL) is that many people think it is a disease and requires medical intervention. ABL is not a disease. It is a symptom associated with many common conditions and usually does not require medical intervention to improve symptoms. 

Talking to your healthcare provider about ABL can help you learn how to improve symptoms. 90% of the time ABL is light to moderate and can be managed with dietary and lifestyle changes. Learning about how ABL affects you and what steps you can take to improve symptoms can help reduce ABL.

Less than 10% of the time ABL requires medical intervention. Don’t be afraid to speak up about ABL with your healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Fecal Incontinence

How does age affect my risk for accidental bowel leakage (ABL)?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
The likelihood of having accidental bowel leakage (ABL) increases with age. ABL, also called fecal i...
How common is fecal incontinence?
ABLinfo.orgABLinfo.org
According to a recent study, nearly one in five women over the age of 40 reported an episode of acci...
Why should I keep a diary for accidental bowel leakage (ABL)?
ABLinfo.orgABLinfo.org
Accidental bowel leakage (ABL) is different for everyone, and for many people diet plays a role in t...
A Different Kind of Incontinence
A Different Kind of Incontinence