How do I manage my fecal incontinence on a daily basis?

You may be able to manage your fecal incontinence on a daily basis by watching your diet. Some foods, such as those containing artificial sweeteners or caffeine, may trigger incontinence. You may want to try eating several smaller meals each day, rather than three large ones, since eating large meals may trigger more bowel contractions and worsen fecal incontinence. Eat plenty of fiber and drink plenty of water to keep stools soft and prevent constipation. Keep your anal area clean by washing your rectum with plain water each time you move your bowels. You may apply talcum powder to your anal area to keep it dry and relieve any irritation you might experience. Wearing loose-fitting clothing and cotton underwear can help to keep your anal area clean and dry.

Continue Learning about Fecal Incontinence

What is fecal incontinence?
Dr. Lisa Rogo-GuptaDr. Lisa Rogo-Gupta
Fecal incontinence is when you cannot control your stool or gas. It is less common than urinary inco...
How does age affect my risk for accidental bowel leakage (ABL)?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
The likelihood of having accidental bowel leakage (ABL) increases with age. ABL, also called fecal i...
Why should I keep a diary for accidental bowel leakage (ABL)?
ABLinfo.orgABLinfo.org
Accidental bowel leakage (ABL) is different for everyone, and for many people diet plays a role in t...
A Different Kind of Incontinence
A Different Kind of Incontinence