How can I cope with emotional issues if I have fecal incontinence?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Gaining control over fecal incontinence (unintended passage of stool) is a psychological as well as physical challenge. The emotional repercussions can be very difficult to handle. You may find it helpful to remind yourself that this is a very common medical condition. Many other people, like you, are coping with the same condition, as the result of surgery, childbirth, or medical illness.

If you have lived with the problem for a long time before seeking help, it may take time and professional support for you to address your painful feelings and regain confidence in your ability to fully participate in normal activities and relationships.

Help is available from health professionals, therapists, and support groups. You can benefit greatly from the advice and experiences of others with the same problem, whether contacted informally or through a support group. Most important, remember that yours is a medical condition, not a personal weakness.

Continue Learning about Fecal Incontinence

How does age affect my risk for accidental bowel leakage (ABL)?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
The likelihood of having accidental bowel leakage (ABL) increases with age. ABL, also called fecal i...
What can I do if I have bowel incontinence?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
See your doctor to determine the cause of bowel incontinence. Treatment will depend on the cause and...
Why should I keep a diary for accidental bowel leakage (ABL)?
ABLinfo.orgABLinfo.org
Accidental bowel leakage (ABL) is different for everyone, and for many people diet plays a role in t...
A Different Kind of Incontinence
A Different Kind of Incontinence