How should I care for my skin if I have fecal incontinence?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
If you have fecal incontinence (unintended passage of stool), proper care of the skin in the anal area is critical to maintaining comfort and preventing skin irritation and breakdown. Skin irritation is more than a misery. It can invite infection and even compromise your treatment if the skin becomes too sore for your muscles to work well. If you have both urinary and fecal incontinence, bacteria in the feces can react with urine to produce ammonia, which lowers the skin pH and leaves it more vulnerable to infection. Yeast infections can also result, when yeast in the feces is nurtured by contact with urine.

Skin should be cleansed after each episode of incontinence. Choose an extremely mild, nonalkaline soap -- such as Dove or Basis -- or buy one of the special cleansers designed to gently dissolve and remove stool and urine. These are nonirritating, soap-free cleansing lotions; some are available in portable disposable wipes. They eliminate the need to scrub areas of tender skin, and some do not require that you rinse the skin after use. Look for nonalkaline, fragrance-free products.

Continue Learning about Fecal Incontinence

What are the misconceptions about accidental bowel leakage (ABL)?
ABLinfo.orgABLinfo.org
A common misconception about accidental bowel leakage (ABL) is that many people think it is a diseas...
What is incontinence?
St. Petersburg General HospitalSt. Petersburg General Hospital
Incontinence is a condition where a person is unable to control their urine or bowel movements.
What can I do if I have bowel incontinence?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
See your doctor to determine the cause of bowel incontinence. Treatment will depend on the cause and...
A Different Kind of Incontinence
A Different Kind of Incontinence