Q

Fecal Incontinence

How does age affect my risk for accidental bowel leakage (ABL)?

• A answered
    Many people mistakenly believe that accidental bowel leakage (ABL) is entirely due to age and is an inevitable part of aging. While it's true that ABL is surprisingly common, it's a misconception that ABL will happen to everyone as they age.

It’s also not a condition that only affects older adults. The reality is that 70% of women with ABL first experience ABL before the age of 60. While it is true the risk for developing ABL increases with age, it is a myth to think ABL only affects the elderly.
    1 person found this helpful.
  • A , Family Medicine, answered
    The likelihood of having accidental bowel leakage (ABL) increases with age. ABL, also called fecal incontinence, affects about 1% to 2% of adults, but up to 7% of older adults. Other factors besides age that increase your risk for ABL include neurologic disease, functional limitation (due to having multiple chronic illnesses), multiple childbirths and type 2 diabetes.
    1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Why should I keep a diary for accidental bowel leakage (ABL)?