What is sphincteroplasty for fecal incontinence?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
If your anal sphincter was damaged during childbirth, anal surgery, or other trauma, your physician may suggest a sphincteroplasty to repair it and help treat fecal incontinence. The external anal sphincter forms a ring around the anus. If there is a breach or interruption in the ring of muscle, you may not be able to close it tightly enough to keep stool in. During a sphincteroplasty, the surgeon will reattach the damaged ends and stitch them together to create a complete ring of muscle. This restores the anus to its proper shape. Sphincteroplasty has been used for decades and is the most common surgery used to treat fecal incontinence. It is very safe. However, the effectiveness of sphincteroplasty may differ for different kinds of patients. Therefore, careful evaluation before surgery is important.

Continue Learning about Fecal Incontinence Treatment

What surgical procedures are used to treat bowel incontinence?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Surgery is an option for people with bowel incontinence for whom dietary changes and biofeedback do ...
How can I use dietary changes to treat fecal incontinence?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
The good news is that your diet can have a major impact on your bowel function and fecal inconti...
How can I tell if I am doing pelvic floor muscles exercises correctly?
ABLinfo.orgABLinfo.org
Pelvic floor muscle exercises can strengthen the bowl of muscles that support the pelvic floor, whic...
What is electrical stimulation for the treatment of fecal incontinence?
Electrical stimulation is a nonsurgical technique that is sometimes used to treat fecal incontin...