What is electrical stimulation for the treatment of fecal incontinence?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Electrical stimulation is a nonsurgical technique that is sometimes used to treat fecal incontinence (unintended passage of stool). As a part of this treatment, a small electrical shock is delivered to the anal sphincter, in hopes of bulking up the muscles. There are several reports that suggest this may be of value. But, so far, there have been no controlled studies that have described its effectiveness in comparison with biofeedback or no treatment.

Continue Learning about Fecal Incontinence Treatment

What is sacral nerve stimulation for fecal incontinence?
ABLinfo.orgABLinfo.org
Sacral neuromodulation is a therapy for accidental bowel leakage (ABL), also known as fecal incontin...
How can a vaginal insert help treat accidental bowel leakage (ABL)?
ABLinfo.orgABLinfo.org
The Eclipse is an insert that is placed in the vagina like a tampon to treat accidental bowel leakag...
How can I tell if I am doing pelvic floor muscles exercises correctly?
ABLinfo.orgABLinfo.org
Pelvic floor muscle exercises can strengthen the bowl of muscles that support the pelvic floor, whic...
What is the difference between stool softeners and stimulant laxatives?
Dr. Shauna Lorenzo-Rivero, MDDr. Shauna Lorenzo-Rivero, MD
Stool softeners usually make the stool the consistency of mud. Just as it is difficult to walk throu...