How can I tell if I am doing pelvic floor muscles exercises correctly?

Pelvic floor muscle exercises can strengthen the bowl of muscles that support the pelvic floor, which can help accidental bowel leakage (ABL). It is important to make sure you are contracting the correct muscles.

For women, it is the muscles around the urethra, vagina and rectum. For men, it is the muscles around the urethra, scrotum and rectum. Pelvic floor muscle exercises should not include the muscles of the buttocks or abdomen.

To test whether you are contracting the correct muscles, you can try to stop your urine flow in a controlled fashion by contracting these muscles -- but you should not make a habit of stopping your urine flow routinely because it can confuse the bladder and the pelvic floor.

When you first start, you may not be able to hold the muscles tight for very long, but as you gradually increase your strength, you will be able to hold a squeeze for up to 10 seconds. A good goal is to perform 10 squeezes three times a day.

Continue Learning about Fecal Incontinence Treatment

What is electrical stimulation for the treatment of fecal incontinence?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Electrical stimulation is a nonsurgical technique that is sometimes used to treat fecal incontin...
Should I get an artificial bowel sphincter if I have fecal incontinence?
An artificial bowel sphincter is the only surgical option for fecal incontinence available in th...
What is sacral nerve stimulation for fecal incontinence?
ABLinfo.orgABLinfo.org
Sacral neuromodulation is a therapy for accidental bowel leakage (ABL), also known as fecal incontin...
What are the treatment options for fecal incontinence?
Celeste Robb-NicholsonCeleste Robb-Nicholson
Although the circumstances of fecal incontinence are somewhat different from those of urinary incont...