What is anorectal manometry?

This test helps determine the strength of the muscles in the rectum and anus. These muscles normally tighten to hold in a bowel movement and relax when a bowel movement is passed. Anorectal manometry is helpful in evaluating anorectal malformations and Hirschsprung's disease, among other problems. A small tube is placed into the rectum to measure the pressures exerted by the sphincter muscles that ring the canal.

Continue Learning about Fecal Incontinence Diagnosis

How does proctography help to diagnose fecal incontinence?
Proctography, or defecography, uses barium to make your rectum more visible on an X-ray. The barium ...
Is nutrition important for treating fecal incontinence?
Nutrition is a very important part of managing fecal incontinence symptoms. Certain foods, such as f...
How can proctosigmoidoscopy help to diagnose fecal incontinence?
A proctosigmoidoscopy can help your doctor see the inside of your rectum and sigmoid, or final two f...
How can I talk to my doctor about my fecal incontinence?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Talking to your doctor about fecal incontinence (unintended passage of stool) can cause embarras...