How can anal sphincter damage cause fecal incontinence?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
If the internal anal sphincter -- contracted most of the time to prevent leakage -- is damaged, bits of stool can leak out without you being aware of it or able to control it. This fecal incontinence (unintended passage of stool) may occur at times of physical exertion or after you have had a bowel movement. If, on the other hand, the external anal sphincter muscles are damaged, you may be unable to squeeze hard enough or long enough to make it to the toilet. While you are rushing to the bathroom, incontinence may occur.

Continue Learning about Fecal Incontinence Causes and Risk Factors

What are the risk factors for fecal incontinence?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Childbirth, especially using forceps, episiotomies, and delivering larger weight babies may damage n...
What causes bowel incontinence?
The anal sphincter muscles are two muscles at the end of the rectum called the internal and external...
What increases my risk for fecal incontinence?
ABLinfo.orgABLinfo.org
There are many myths about accidental bowel leakage (ABL), also known as fecal incontinence, and who...
Why should I avoid holding off a bowel movement for too long?
Sometimes you just can't move your bowels when you need to. In this video, Dr. Oz talks about what h...