What causes fatty liver disease?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Fatty liver disease (FLD) is caused by a high alcohol intake over a sustained period of time. FLD is most likely to develop in men when daily consumption of between three and eight servings of alcohol per day occurs for more than 10 years. Women are at risk with half the amount of daily alcohol. Chances of developing FLD are increased when coupled with a lack of alcohol-eliminating enzymes, poor nutrition, and iron build-up in the liver. If hepatitis is also present, that also increases risk. FLD can be halted or reversed if alcohol intake ceases completely in time; once the disease has progressed to cirrhosis, it is impossible for the liver to heal adequately.

Continue Learning about Fatty Liver Disease

How can I manage my fatty liver disease on a daily basis?
Fatty liver disease, whether caused by alcohol consumption or not, is managed by eliminating alcohol...
What are the two main types of fatty liver disease?
The two main types of fatty liver disease are nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and nonalcoho...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with fatty liver disease?
Fatty liver disease (FLD) can be caused by heavy and prolonged drinking, certain medications, ...
What Are the Treatment Options for Fatty Liver Disease?