What are the symptoms of fatty liver disease?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Fatty liver disease (FLD) is a stage in alcoholic liver disease and is closely related to cirrhosis, which can occur if fatty liver disease goes untreated and the liver becomes inflamed and damaged. FLD on its own may be difficult to detect because external symptoms are uncommon. Someone with fatty liver disease may have a liver which is enlarged and smooth; however, only one in three patients display this symptom. In later stages of fatty liver disease, symptoms will probably be related to cirrhosis, and may include abdominal pain or tenderness, fatigue, excessive thirst, loss of appetite, and jaundice.

Continue Learning about Fatty Liver Disease

What is fatty liver disease?
Fatty liver disease is the first stage in alcoholic liver disease. Learn more from our contributors....
What are fatty livers?
What are fatty livers? "Fatty liver" means just what it says, a liver that contains excessive amount...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with fatty liver disease?
What do I need to know about caring for someone with fatty liver disease? It is important to underst...
Is fatty liver disease serious?
Is fatty liver disease serious? Fatty liver disease may not be serious on its own, but it can lead t...