How much exercise should my child do if he has fatty liver disease?

Joel Lavine, MD
Pediatric Gastroenterology
Exercise may help your child if he has fatty liver disease, not only by improving the health of his liver but by improving his health overall. Doctors recommend that children do at least one hour of physical activity per day, six days a week. That doesn't mean your child has to do sit-ups or run in place -- unless he wants to. Doctors recommend that both at school and at home, children participate in activities that they enjoy that get them moving and increase their heart rates. Your child may be more likely to make exercise a daily habit if he enjoys the activity he is doing. 

Continue Learning about Fatty Liver Disease

What You Need to Know About Fatty Liver Disease
You may not be familiar with its name, but fatty liver disease, a condition that can lead to liver failure and other serious complications, is silentl...
What are fatty livers?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
"Fatty liver" means just what it says, a liver that contains excessive amounts of fat. In the most s...
How can I manage my fatty liver disease on a daily basis?
Fatty liver disease, whether caused by alcohol consumption or not, is managed by eliminating alcohol...
What Are the Symptoms of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease?