Why should I eat healthy fat at the beginning of a meal?

Having healthy fat first in a meal will slow emptying of the stomach. To get this effect, you need to eat about seventy calories of fat, which is approximately a half tablespoon of olive oil, six walnuts, twelve almonds, or twenty peanuts. Having fat first is important because slowing of the emptying of the stomach means you'll feel full with less food, and you'll eat less. It also helps keep the amount of sugar in the blood at a lower consistent level, because sugar is absorbed in the intestine, which comes after the stomach. Having fat first also helps the absorption of fat-soluble nutrients such as lycopene in tomatoes and lutein in leafy vegetables, as well as the fat-soluble vitamins in nutritional supplements.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Fats

Improve Colon Health with This Oil
Improve Colon Health with This Oil
Which is better for your colon—corn oil or canola oil? Recent research suggests that canola may have the edge. In an animal study, including canola o...
What determines the type of fatty acid present in the cell membrane?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The type of fatty acid present in the cell membrane is determined by the type of fat you consume. A ...
Why should I limit my intake of saturated fat?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
Just as certain fats are essential for its proper function, others can harm your body; saturated fat...
What Foods are Good Sources of Fat?
What Foods are Good Sources of Fat?