Why should I avoid safflower oil if I am trying to lose belly fat?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
Safflower oil is predominantly polyunsaturated. Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) come in several varieties. As a class, they have generally been associated with favorable health effects. Omega-3 PUFAs, in which we tend to be deficient, are clearly beneficial for most of us. They have anti-inflammatory effects and tend to have favorable effects on body fat deposition. However, safflower oil is not a source of omega-3s. It is, instead, a source of omega-6 PUFAs. These, too, are essential, but if anything, we tend to get more than we need from the oils used in processed foods. Most omega-6s have pro-inflammatory effects, and generally do not have the favorable associations with weight control that the omega-3s have.

Continue Learning about Fats

Trans Fat Means Trouble for Your Memory
Trans Fat Means Trouble for Your Memory
Can’t seem to remember where you set you keys? Constantly forgetting to pick up the dry-cleaning? Well put down the potato chips and step away from th...
How should I balance my intake of omega fatty acids?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Getting a good balance of omega fats is pretty easy. Think of your omega consumption as an orchestra...
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
Protect your heart health—and much more—by choosing the right fatty foods.
How Does the Body Get Energy from the Foods We Eat?