Q

Fats

Why are partially hydrogenated fats and trans fats bad for my health?

• A , Nutrition & Dietetics, answered

The human body has absolutely no beneficial use for the types of fats (trans-fats) found in foods that contain partially hydrogenated oils. Unlike other fats such as monounsaturated fat (olive oil, almonds, avocados, etc.), polyunsaturated fats (including both omega-3 and omega-6 fats as found in fish, flaxseed, non-hydrogenated vegetable oils, etc.) and to saturated fats (as found in butter, milk, meat, etc.) are the main types of fats found in the body. These other fats have specific structural and functional roles due to their natural chemical structure. When an oil is partially hydrogenated it creates fats (trans-fats) with an unusual chemical structure; one which causes the body to have a difficult time metabolizing and utilizing. Try your best to avoid those foods that contain partially hydrogenated oils as the have also been shown to increase total and lDL ("bad") cholesterol levels. Both are risk factors for cardiovascular disease.

This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What precautions do I need to take when eating fats?