Who should be careful eating foods that are high in fatty acids?

Children and pregnant women are advised by the United States Food and Drug Administration to avoid getting their fatty acids from types of fish with the highest mercury levels. This includes: shark, swordfish, tilefish, and king mackerel. In addition, to maximize health benefits, all people should look for fish that are high in Omega-3 fatty acids but not be deep-fried (baked or broiled fish is healthier).

Continue Learning about Fats

All About YOU: Getting More Better-for-You Fats
Corn oil, margarine, steak . . . if these items make a regular appearance in your diet, you may need more "3s." That's omega-3s—found in foods like f...
Why should I avoid trans fats?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Trans fat or trans-fatty acid is a type of fat that, research reveals, is a dangerous substance prod...
How does the fat I eat affect my sperm?
Eating lots of saturated fat (found in red meats, processed meats, full-fat dairy products, and ...
What Types of Fats Should I Choose for a Healthy Diet?