Q

Fats

From where can I get the best oil for my diet?

• A , Naturopathic Medicine, answered
    An important aspect to getting the right type of oils in your diet is to eat fish rich in the omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, mackerel, herring, and halibut. While at the Hunger Free Forever program we are encouraging you to eat more fish, we need to give you some guidelines. Nearly all fish contain trace amounts of methyl mercury. In most cases, this is of little concern because the level is so low. The fish most likely to have the lowest level of methyl mercury are salmon (usually undetectable levels), cod, mackerel, cold-water tuna, farm-raised catfish, and herring. Certain seafood, particularly swordfish, shark, and some other large predatory fish, may contain high levels of methyl mercury. Choose from the low-mercury group and limit your intake to no more than four servings per week maximum.

Adding a high-quality fish oil supplement free of the mercury, PCBs, dioxins, and other contaminants often found in fish to your daily routine provides extra insurance that you are getting sufficient levels of omega-3 fatty acids. Take enough of the supplement to provide 1,000mg daily of the key omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What type of oil is best for my diet?