What are lipids?

Lipids are fatty substances found in the body's cells and in the bloodstream. Often referred to as cholesterol and triglycerides, lipids are an important source of fuel for the body. But if lipids reach unhealthy levels, they can raise your risk of heart disease.
Lipids are fatlike substances that are important parts of the membranes found within and between each cell and in the myelin sheath that coats and protects the nerves. Lipids include oils, fatty acids, waxes, steroids (such as cholesterol and estrogen), and other related compounds.

Continue Learning about Fats

Why Too Much Bad Fat Makes You Fatter
Why Too Much Bad Fat Makes You Fatter
In 2013 when the world’s tallest horse, a 20-hand, two-and-three-quarter inches tall (that’s 6′ 11″) Belgian gelding named Big Jake weighed in at 2,60...
What determines the type of fatty acid present in the cell membrane?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The type of fatty acid present in the cell membrane is determined by the type of fat you consume. A ...
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
Protect your heart health—and much more—by choosing the right fatty foods.
What Types of Fats Should I Choose for a Healthy Diet?