What’s the link between triglycerides and stroke risk?

We know that high blood pressure is bad for our stroke risk. But high triglycerides? Yep, research confirms it. In a study, people with the highest triglyceride levels had between a twofold and a fourfold higher risk for stroke compared to people with the lowest triglycerides. It's not clearly understood how triglycerides raise stroke risk, but the study authors think that triglycerides may contribute to artery clogging and that artery clogging is just as bad for your brain as it is for your heart. Because if the brain's supply of oxygen-rich blood gets cut off, you're looking at a stroke.

Continue Learning about Fats

All About YOU: Getting More Better-for-You Fats
Corn oil, margarine, steak . . . if these items make a regular appearance in your diet, you may need more "3s." That's omega-3s—found in foods like f...
How effective are fibrates?
Fibrates can lower triglycerides by 45%. They can raise HDL by up to 25%, and lower LDL by about 5%....
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
Protect your heart health—and much more—by choosing the right fatty foods.
Am I Burning Calories When I Shiver?
Am I Burning Calories When I Shiver?