What should I know before taking fibrates?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you have gallbladder disease, impaired liver function, or severe kidney disease, you should not take a fibrate.

If you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or planning to become pregnant, fibric acid derivatives may not be a good option for you. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women.

If you are breastfeeding, you should not take fenofibrate.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Fats

Eat the Good Fat First
Eat the Good Fat First
If you're trying to watch your weight, you don't have to forgo appetizers altogether. In fact, choosing the right starter before your meal may actuall...
How can I reduce the fat in barbecued hamburgers?
Keri GansKeri Gans
To slash fat and calories, make your burgers from either ground round or sirloin and don’t make your...
What are the benefits of dietary fat?
Manuel VillacortaManuel Villacorta
Fat is an important and necessary part of our diets; we cannot survive without it. Some of the healt...
Surprising Calorie Shockers
Surprising Calorie Shockers