What is unsaturated fat?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
Unsaturated fats are "good fats". They are essential fatty acids such as linoleic and linolenic.
Unsaturated fat is a type of fat that is liquid at room temperature and comes mostly from plant sources. Eating foods high in unsaturated fat -- especially in place of foods with a lot of saturated fat -- may help lower LDL cholesterol levels. This helps lower your risk of heart disease. There are two main types of unsaturated fat: monounsaturated and polyunsaturated.
Unsaturated fat is the name for a broad category of fats found in many foods. There are two forms of unsaturated fat: monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. Many good sources of unsaturated fat, such as olive, canola and vegetable oils, are liquid at room temperature. Some other foods that contain high levels of unsaturated fat include fish, nuts, seeds and avocados.

Unlike saturated fats (meat and dairy foods are top sources) and trans fats (found in some fried foods and packaged products), unsaturated fats do not raise levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol. In fact, some research suggests that eating unsaturated fats helps to improve cholesterol levels. Most of the fat in your diet should be unsaturated.

Continue Learning about Fats

How Saturated Fats Make You Fatter
How Saturated Fats Make You Fatter
When Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’s shape-shifting Odo (René Auberjonois) decides to change the way his body looks, he morphs from a gelatinous blob to ...
Can I consume hydrogenated peanut oil?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
As a matter of heart health, it is recommended that no hydrogenated peanut oil be consumed. Although...
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
Protect your heart health—and much more—by choosing the right fatty foods.
What Types of Fats Should I Choose for a Healthy Diet?