What is hydrogenated fat?

Hydrogenated fat/hydrolyzed fat/hardened fat are all different names for the same fat. This fat begins as an unsaturated fat and is then turned into a saturated fat. Conversion of unsaturated fat into saturated fat is quite common because saturated fat lasts longer.
Enas Shakkour

Hydrogenated fat is fat that has had hydrogen infused into it. Hydrogenated fats start out as unsaturated fats, which are fats that are actually good for you. These unsaturated fats are not as solid as saturated fats. Saturated fats (bad fats) have more hydrogen than unsaturated fats. The process of hydrogenation makes a once healthy fat into a non-healthy fat. The hydrogenated fat is now more solid and more harmful. Check your labels and stay away from products that have "hydrogenated fats" and "partially hydrogenated fat" listed in the ingredients.

Margaret Floyd
Hydrogenated fats are made from vegetable oils that are very unstable in their natural form, meaning they become rancid really easily. This poses transportation, storage, and shelf-life problems. To avoid these problems, food manufacturers forcibly alter the fat at the molecular level, adding hydrogen atoms to stabilize the oil. In other words, they hydrogenate the oil, solidifying an oil that was previously liquid at room temperature. Margarine is the classic example of a hydrogenated fat. These oils don't exist in nature, and they are unrecognizable and quite damaging to the body.
Eat Naked: Unprocessed, Unpolluted, and Undressed Eating for a Healthier, Sexier You

Eat Naked with Margaret Floyd for a Sexier You Are you fed up with counting calories? Confused by all the diet hype? Want to eat delicious, real food and look and feel great? Leading...

Continue Learning about Fats

Don’t Go to Food Extremes!
Don’t Go to Food Extremes!
On July 15, 1972 Fat Furnace Creek in Death Valley, CA, had a ground temp of 201°F. And in late July of 2013 in Siberia the temperature hit 89.6°F, me...
What are the types of fat that I should know about?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
There are several different types of fat that you should know about that are found in foods. It is i...
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
Protect your heart health—and much more—by choosing the right fatty foods.
Am I Burning Calories When I Shiver?
Am I Burning Calories When I Shiver?