What is gamma-linolenic acid?

Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is an omega-6 fatty acid that helps protect bodily tissues, provide energy, maintain body temperature and insulate nerves. Our bodies convert GLA to a hormone-like substance called prostaglandin E1, which regulates nerve functions. We typically only get it in the foods we eat, unless we take a supplement like black currant seeds or evening primrose oil.

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
In the omega-6 family, gamma linolenic acid (also known as GLA) is one of the all-stars. Well known as a stress-reducing nutrient, GLA is largely deficient in the standard American diet because it's a rarer oil, found in seed oils such as borage oil, evening primrose oil, black currant oil, and hemp oil.
Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

From celebrated dietitian Ashley Koff and fitness trainer to the stars Kathy Kaehler comes Mom Energy, an exciting new way for moms to tap into their own natural and renewable sources of...

Continue Learning about Fats

Don’t Go to Food Extremes!
Don’t Go to Food Extremes!
On July 15, 1972 Fat Furnace Creek in Death Valley, CA, had a ground temp of 201°F. And in late July of 2013 in Siberia the temperature hit 89.6°F, me...
How should I choose healthy dietary fats?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
Quality is by far the most important factor in choosing a fat. In this context, quality means a ...
What are the healthy and unhealthy sources of fat in the diet?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Healthy sources of fat are pecans, sunflower seeds, avocado, and wild salmon. Less healthy sources o...
What Types of Fats Should I Choose for a Healthy Diet?