What is gamma-linolenic acid?

Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is an omega-6 fatty acid that helps protect bodily tissues, provide energy, maintain body temperature and insulate nerves. Our bodies convert GLA to a hormone-like substance called prostaglandin E1, which regulates nerve functions. We typically only get it in the foods we eat, unless we take a supplement like black currant seeds or evening primrose oil.

Continue Learning about Fats

Trans Fat Means Trouble for Your Memory
Trans Fat Means Trouble for Your Memory
Can’t seem to remember where you set you keys? Constantly forgetting to pick up the dry-cleaning? Well put down the potato chips and step away from th...
Swap Regular Vegetable Oil for Canola Oil
What Are the Health Benefits of Red Palm Oil?
What Types of Fats Should I Choose for a Healthy Diet?