What are food oils?

Used in cooking and baking as well as for flavor, food oils are fats that are liquid at room temperature. Many foods are naturally high in oils, including nuts, olives, some types of fish and avocados.

There are a variety of oils that come from many different plants and from fish, common types include: canola, corn, cottonseed, olive, safflower, soybean, sunflower, walnut and sesame oils.

Most oils are high in monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fats and low in saturated fats. Oils from plant sources do not contain any cholesterol.

Continue Learning about Fats

The Danger of a Fatty Meal
The Danger of a Fatty Meal
King Henry VIII is renowned for having six wives, two of whom he executed. But he is also an infamous glutton. He expanded the kitchens at Hampton Cou...
What fatty acids are essential?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Essential fatty acids are necessary fats that humans cannot produce, and must be obtained through pr...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking fatty acid supplements?
Be sure to tell your doctor that you are taking fatty acid supplements, since certain medication...
How Does the Body Get Energy from the Foods We Eat?