Q

Fats

What are food oils?

• Used in cooking and baking as well as for flavor, food oils are fats that are liquid at room temperature. Many foods are naturally high in oils, including nuts, olives, some types of fish and avocados.

There are a variety of oils that come from many different plants and from fish, common types include: canola, corn, cottonseed, olive, safflower, soybean, sunflower, walnut and sesame oils.

Most oils are high in monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fats and low in saturated fats. Oils from plant sources do not contain any cholesterol.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How do I remove fat from gravy?