What are fats?

Fats -- especially saturated fat -- affect the health of your heart and blood vessels. There are various types of fat. Saturated fat is often found in foods from animals. This includes fatty meats, the skin of poultry, and whole-milk dairy products, such as butter, cheese, cream, and ice cream. It also is in coconut, palm kernel, and palm oils. These oils are found mostly in processed foods, such as baked goods, snack foods, and crackers. If you use saturated fat, keep the amount small. Instead of saturated fat, try soft or liquid margarine and such oils as canola, safflower, and olive. However, all kinds of fats have the same amount of calories and need to be limited to help you lose weight.
This answer is based on source information from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.

Continue Learning about Fats

Don’t Be a Sat-Fathead
Don’t Be a Sat-Fathead
The urban dictionary defines "Fat-Head Syndrome" as someone who acts like a blowhard. But researchers at Louisiana State University Inflammation and N...
How do I remove fat from gravy?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Of all the Thanksgiving dishes, traditional gravy often contains the greatest fat content. This ...
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
Protect your heart health—and much more—by choosing the right fatty foods.
What Types of Fats Should I Choose for a Healthy Diet?