Is it true that dietary fat is bad for me?

No, dietary fat is essential. However, knowing how to choose fat from healthier sources can help to meet your dietary needs for fat without added health risk. Healthy fats come from sources typically liquid at room temperature, such as oils. Checking food labels for foods higher in mono- and poly-unsaturated fats and lower in saturated and trans-fats can help you to identify foods that would be better choices. However, all fat is a dense source of calories and should be limited to only about 30% of total calories each day, regardless of food source.
Margaret Floyd
With the notable exception of trans fats (they are indisputably bad), there is no type of dietary fat that is categorically good or bad. What makes it so is the quality of the fat and how it has been processed. Saturated fats are not categorically good or bad. Unsaturated fats are not categorically good or bad. What makes a fat beneficial or harmful to your health is its quality and how it has been extracted from its source. I emphasize this point because it's so different from what most marketing and outdated nutrition wisdom will have us believe.
Eat Naked: Unprocessed, Unpolluted, and Undressed Eating for a Healthier, Sexier You

Eat Naked with Margaret Floyd for a Sexier You Are you fed up with counting calories? Confused by all the diet hype? Want to eat delicious, real food and look and feel great? Leading...
Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness
Too much of anything can be bad for you. But in the proper amounts, all fats make a contribution to good health. Keep total fats below 35% of your diet with saturated fats no more that 10% of your daily calorie allotment. Fats from fish, nuts and many vegetables are important contributors to our long-term health. Please see our Sharecare Fitness Application under the Coach tab for ideal menu examples that will allow you to reach your health & fitness goals. Click here for access: http://www.sharecare.com/home/coach

Continue Learning about Fats

Good and Bad Fats: The Ultimate Guide
Good and Bad Fats: The Ultimate Guide
Remember when any fat was bad fat? When the only difference between a croissant and a Krispy Kreme was snob appeal? Now that (happily) science has fou...
What determines the type of fatty acid present in the cell membrane?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The type of fatty acid present in the cell membrane is determined by the type of fat you consume. A ...
What should I remember when cooking with fats?
You should remember two things when you cook with fats. First, prepare foods with unsaturated fats w...
What Types of Fats Should I Choose for a Healthy Diet?