What are triglycerides, and how do they relate to high cholesterol?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Triglycerides are a lipid that is present in the blood along with cholesterol. Like cholesterol, an excess of triglycerides can lead to heart disease, as well as pancreatitis. Triglycerides can be tested along with cholesterol. A blood level of less than 150 mg/dL is ideal.

Continue Learning about Fats

Is having fat in my diet essential for a healthy body?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Fat is essential to the life of all cells. It helps you maintain healthy skin and hair, transport fa...
Is brominated vegetable oil (BVO) bad for my health?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Brominated vegetable oil (BVO) has been “called out” as an ingredient in a flame retardant after a y...
What makes a fat good or bad?
Not all fat is bad. Good fats are liquid at room temperature, and bad fats are usually solid at ...
What are the benefits of dietary fat?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Fat is not all bad. Despite its bad rap, it provides energy for exercise, and is the essential eleme...