How can olive oil help my stomach?

Olive oil -- the unsaturated fat that's great for your heart -- is making headlines again. But this time it's for helping your stomach. Research suggests that polyphenols in olive oil may inhibit the bacterium that causes most stomach ulcers.

Antibiotics are the treatment gold standard for Helicobacter (H.) pylori, the ulcer-causing bacterium that's tough enough to survive the acidity of people's stomachs. But resistant strains of H. pylori are now found worldwide. Fortunately, some researchers are seeking alternative therapies, and in recent studies, the polyphenols in olive oil showed tremendous potential. Not only could they withstand the harsh gastric juices of the stomach, but they also seemed to kill off H. pylori -- even antibiotic-resistant strains.

To protect the polyphenols in your olive oil and get the most out of the stuff, store it in a dark bottle away from sunlight, and don't overheat it.

Continue Learning about Fats

Your Superpower Nose Can Sniff out Fat
Your Superpower Nose Can Sniff out Fat
Superman and Spiderman use their super-powers for good to aid seemingly helpless humans in their time of need. But believe it or not you have what you...
Trans Fat Means Trouble for Your Memory
Trans Fat Means Trouble for Your Memory
Can’t seem to remember where you set you keys? Constantly forgetting to pick up the dry-cleaning? Well put down the potato chips and step away from th...
What Kind of Visceral Fat In My Body Can Be Harmful?
What Types of Fats Should I Choose for a Healthy Diet?