How does Olestra help weight loss?

Alberta Scruggs
Clinical studies have proven that Olestra helps with weight loss in clients of obese weight status. However, clients who were not obese had no change in weight status.

Why? Because Olestra has no kcalories, it reduces dietary fat and cholesterol because it is not digested, absorbed or metabolized by the body. This is great if you're following a restricted diet and desire to snack in between meals.
However, Olestra has a few side effects. Those using Olestra have reported experiencing abdominal cramps, loose stool or diarrhea. Another side effect is Olestra prevents the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K), and some of the carotenoids such as beta carotene and lutein.

Some practitioners may recommend supplementing the diet with bottled vitamins. However, the benefits would be minimal if the use of Olestra continues (It would have the same effects as it has on vitamins from food).

Olestra is a food ingredient that has been shown to help you lose weight while you continue eating your favorite foods. Olestra is a non-caloric fat replacer that is used as an ingredient in many low fat foods. Olestra is composed of table sugar and vegetable oil, but the molecules are much larger than normal so your body does not absorb them. However, throughout the years, olestra has been under some scrutiny. This product can prevent the absorption of some vitamins; so many olestra products have added fat-soluble vitamins like carotenoids to help you get the vitamins you need at the low calorie level you want.

Continue Learning about Fats

Your Superpower Nose Can Sniff out Fat
Your Superpower Nose Can Sniff out Fat
Superman and Spiderman use their super-powers for good to aid seemingly helpless humans in their time of need. But believe it or not you have what you...
How effective are fibrates?
Fibrates can lower triglycerides by 45%. They can raise HDL by up to 25%, and lower LDL by about 5%....
How can olive oil help my stomach?
Olive oil -- the unsaturated fat that's great for your heart -- is making headlines again. But this ...
What Kind of Visceral Fat In My Body Can Be Harmful?