How much polyunsaturated fat is healthy?

A diet containing moderate amounts of polyunsaturated fats can be good for your health. When you choose polyunsaturated fats instead of saturated fats, they can lower your cholesterol.

But large amounts of highly polyunsaturated fats (found in corn, sunflower, safflower and soybean oils) are not good for you. Eating too much of these fats may increase your risk of certain cancers. Cutting back on your overall fat intake and choosing a balance of healthy fats including monounsaturated fats (found in olive oil) and omega-3 fatty acids (a polyunsaturated fat in fatty fish and nuts), is healthier than relying solely on polyunsaturated fats. Remember, in order to lose weight, calories matter -- and all fats are high in calories.

Continue Learning about Fats

How to Get More Healthy Fats Into Your Diet
Have you pushed aside the butter dish and switched to the tubs of trans-fat-free margarine? Have you kicked lard to the curb, choosing now to brown, s...
What is chocolate?
Deborah BeauvaisDeborah Beauvais
Chocolate is a confection produced from the fruit of the tropical tree Theobroma cacao. The fruit, k...
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
Protect your heart health—and much more—by choosing the right fatty foods.
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?