How can I know how much fat I am eating?

Sometimes it can be difficult to know how much fat is in the food you eat, especially when you are eating out. For foods you buy and prepare yourself, check the food labels. The Nutrition Facts label tells you how much fat, saturated fat, and calories from fat are in one serving. If you are cooking a meal or dish with lots of ingredients, try to add up the fat and calories from each ingredient and divide by the number of servings. If you are eating out, many restaurants, particularly chain and fast food restaurants, now provide nutritional information on request. If you are uncertain about any foods, ask your dietitian for an estimate. At the end of the day, add up all the calories from fat from the labels on the foods you’ve eaten and any other hidden fats in foods without labels. This will give you the total of daily calories from fat. Divide this by the total calories you’ve eaten for the day and multiply by 100. This will give you the percent of total calories from fat.

Continue Learning about Fats

Other than taking fish supplements, how can I add fatty acids to my diet?
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RDLaura Motosko, MSEd, RD
According to the American Dietetic Association fatty acids should be limited to 20 to 30% of calorie...
How do fibrates interact with other medications?
If you are taking a QTc interval prolonging medication, fibrates can lead to serious side effects an...
What are fatty acids?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Your body uses two fuels: glucose and fatty acids. Fatty acids differ from glucose in that they ...
Is a diet high in fat linked to various cancers?
Poor diet can have a damaging effect on many fronts. You may not eat enough foods containing protect...