Q

Fats

How can I get a healthy balance of fat in my diet?

• A , Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Here are the key takeaway messages for making sure you're getting a good balance of high-quality fats in your diet:
    • Quality is paramount. Because toxins are stored in fat, if budgeting food dollars, spend extra on high-quality fats and animal protein rather than worrying about organic produce.
    • Having a good mix of all three types of fatty acid (saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated) in your diet is critical to maintaining good health.
    • Store less stable vegetable oils in the refrigerator in tightly sealed containers that don't allow light. Never store oils near the stove.
    • Scrupulously avoid any kind of trans fats: partially or fully hydrogenated oils of any kind. These are found in many processed and packaged food products, so avoiding them completely is your best bet.
    • When cooking, never let a fat or oil smoke. This means it has gone rancid.
    • Increase your consumption of omega-3s as much as possible by increasing the use of foods high in this fatty acid and considering supplementation. Strive for a one-to-one ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 in your diet.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What are good sources of essential fatty acids?