How do fibrates interact with other medications?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you are taking a QTc interval prolonging medication, fibrates can lead to serious side effects and should be avoided.

If you are taking repaglinide, you should not take gemfibrozil.

If you are taking bexarotene, enzalutamide, irinotecan, pirfenidone, or tizanidine, gemfibrozil can lead to side effects and should be avoided.

If you are taking colchicine, cyclosporine, or raltegravir, a fibrate may not be a good option for you.

If you are taking ezetimibe, gemfibrozil can lead to side effects and should be avoided. Other fibrates may also not be good options for you.

If you are taking simvastatin, you should not take gemfibrozil. If you are taking another statin, gemfibrozil can lead to side effects and should be avoided if possible.

If you are taking tacrolimus, fenofibrate may not be a good option for you.

If you are taking Viekira (a combination of ombitasvir, paritaprevir, ritonavir, and dasabuvir), gemfibrozil can lead to side effects and should be avoided.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Fats

Am I Burning Calories When I Shiver?
Am I Burning Calories When I Shiver?
How Does the Body Get Energy from the Foods We Eat?
Swap Regular Vegetable Oil for Canola Oil
Avoid These Bad Fats for a Better Mood
Avoid These Bad Fats for a Better Mood