How does eating fatty foods affect my appetite?

Abby Ellin
John Blundell, research chair in psychobiology and chair of the department of psychology at the University of Leeds, in England, has studied whether eating fat can influence appetite regulatory mechanisms. He believes that fat delivers such a dense calorie load that it overwhelms the body’s system to sense satiety. “Exposure to fat induces a liking for fat, and people can eat a huge amount of the stuff before inhibitory signaling systems come into effect to stop eating,” he says. “Some people are able to eat 1,350 calories of fat in one sitting.

Eating fat doesn’t stimulate the fat-induced satiety signals but they do inhibit eating sufficiently to reduce calorie intake from the calorie dense fatty foods. However, we’re not dealing with a biological inevitability here; some people are better able to tolerate a high-fat diet than are others. These people can eat and stay lean.” 
Teenage Waistland: A Former Fat Kid Weighs In on Living Large, Losing Weight, and How Parents Can (and Can't) Help

We've been inundated lately with books and articles about childhood obesity. Most offer cultural critique or nutrition and exercise advice — in tones that are alternately appalled and patronizing....

Continue Learning about Fats

Good and Bad Fats: The Ultimate Guide
Good and Bad Fats: The Ultimate Guide
Remember when any fat was bad fat? When the only difference between a croissant and a Krispy Kreme was snob appeal? Now that (happily) science has fou...
What are the health benefits of omega-5?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Omega-5, otherwise known as myristoleic acid, is less common in nature -- found primarily in the see...
Can consuming too much omega-6 fatty acids be unhealthy?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
The problem is not whether or not you consume too much omega-6 fatty acids, but the ratio of omega-6...
What Kind of Visceral Fat In My Body Can Be Harmful?