How does the fat I eat affect my sperm?

Eating lots of saturated fat (found in red meats, processed meats, full-fat dairy products, and many snack foods and desserts) can reduce sperm counts by 38% and slow the swimming ability of the remaining 62%. Getting more omega-3 fatty acids (from fish such as salmon and wild trout), however, means higher sperm counts. To get more omega-3s, you can also take 1,500 milligrams of a docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) (the most active omega-3) supplement daily. Take 1,500 mg for 10 weeks, and then cut back to 1,000 mg.

Continue Learning about Fats

How Saturated Fats Make You Fatter
How Saturated Fats Make You Fatter
When Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’s shape-shifting Odo (René Auberjonois) decides to change the way his body looks, he morphs from a gelatinous blob to ...
How can I add flavor to food without adding fat?
Adding flavor to a dish without merely tossing in a stick of butter is a challenge, but it can a...
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
Protect your heart health—and much more—by choosing the right fatty foods.
What Foods are Good Sources of Fat?
What Foods are Good Sources of Fat?