How do we burn fat?

Under the Law of Conservation of Mass, matter is not created or destroyed, but may change its form through chemical reaction. So, when we lose mass in our bodies by burning fat, it doesn't simply disappear -- it changes form, like water and steam.

When we consume food, the sugar and glucose harnessed from carbohydrates are our first fuel sources. Glucose is stored in our liver in the form of glycogen. The liver releases it into our bloodstream as necessary to keep our body going. Picture your bloodstream as a conveyor belt - taking nutrients to body parts that need them. After that glucose runs out, fat takes over. Burning fat to harness energy is called ketosis.

Continue Learning about Fats

Surprising Calorie Shockers
Surprising Calorie Shockers
Avoid These Bad Fats for a Better Mood
Avoid These Bad Fats for a Better Mood
What Types of Fats Should I Choose for a Healthy Diet?
Swap Regular Vegetable Oil for Canola Oil