How do I remove fat from gravy?

Of all the Thanksgiving dishes, traditional gravy often contains the greatest fat content. This year, give your gravy a healthy makeover by removing fat, so no one has to pass on this flavor-filled favorite.
  • Remove fat from meat and poultry juices with a spoon or a fat-separating pitcher.
  • Fat may also be removed by placing pan drippings in the refrigerator, which will cause the fat to slightly harden and it may then be easily removed with a spoon.
Every tablespoon of fat you remove from gravy or pan juice subtracts about 120 calories and 13 grams of fat.

Continue Learning about Fats

The Danger of a Fatty Meal
The Danger of a Fatty Meal
King Henry VIII is renowned for having six wives, two of whom he executed. But he is also an infamous glutton. He expanded the kitchens at Hampton Cou...
What type of fat does coconut oil contain?
Keri Glassman, MS, RDKeri Glassman, MS, RD
Coconut oil contains a beneficial type of saturated fat called medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), wh...
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
Protect your heart health—and much more—by choosing the right fatty foods.
What Kind of Visceral Fat In My Body Can Be Harmful?