How do the different kinds of dietary fat affect aging?

There are four major types of fat: saturated, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, and trans fat. The first three occur naturally. Trans fat is an artificial version of saturated fat. Although all four types of fat have the same number of calories per serving (120 per tablespoon or 9 per gram), each type can affect your body differently. Saturated and trans fats cause aging of the arteries and the immune system. Polyunsaturated fats do not seem to have any substantial aging effects per se. Monounsaturated fats appear to actually make you younger, helping to boost the levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) or "healthy" cholesterol in your blood.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Fats

Top 5 Hidden Sat-Fat Traps
Top 5 Hidden Sat-Fat Traps
Think you’ve rid yourself of saturated fats? Even if you’re avoiding red meat, whole diary, gooey cheese, crunchy bacon, tropical oils, and creamy but...
Does eating fat make me fat?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Fats are calorie dense foods but they will not make you fat if you are eating a balanced diet. Many ...
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
Protect your heart health—and much more—by choosing the right fatty foods.
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?