Is having fat in my diet essential for a healthy body?

Kelly Traver

Fat is essential to the life of all cells. It helps you maintain healthy skin and hair, transport fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) throughout your body, and regulate blood cholesterol. Dietary fats also give you a feeling of satiety after a meal because fat slows down the stomach's emptying time. The best-known role of fat is its ability to store the body's extra energy, but it is also quite active-fat deposits secrete more than a hundred different chemicals that can affect your health.

Continue Learning about Fats

Fats

At 9 calories per gram, fats can add up quickly in your diet, yet experts recommend that you get only 7% of your calorie intake from fat. Fats also affect your cholesterol, and there are both good and bad fats. The best kind of fa...

ts are called unsaturated fats, and can be found in oils like olive and canola oils, nuts and seeds. These fats can help your body get rid of cholesterol. Saturated fats often have had hydrogen added to them to make them more solid. Other saturated fats are found in cream, butter and meats. They can raise your blood cholesterol. Its wise to learn which is which and check nutrition labels to make proper choices.