Q

Fats

How do the different types of fatty acids differ from one another?

• A , Pharmacy, answered
    Most foods contain different types of fat: saturated, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, and trans fats; some fats are better for you than others.
    • Saturated fats can raise cholesterol and increase your likelihood of getting coronary artery disease. It is believed that diets high in monounsaturated fatty acids can help lower "bad" cholesterol, thereby, lowering the risk of coronary heart disease.
    • Polyunsaturated fatty acids may help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. Essential fatty acids are the polyunsaturated fatty acids the body needs to function properly. Omega-3 and omega-6 are types of beneficial polyunsaturated fatty acids. (Americans consume more omega-6 than omega-3, even though omega-3 is considered to be more beneficial.)
    • Trans fatty acids are created with hydrogenation to solidify liquid oils. They increase the shelf life of oils, but they also reduce the "good" cholesterol and increase "bad" cholesterol, which can increase your risk of heart disease.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Should I let my doctor know I am taking fatty acid supplements?