What is the difference between good and bad dietary fat?

Janis Jibrin, MS, RD
Everyone has to watch their intake of unhealthy fats. It's not the total fat consumption that matters so much; it's the type of fat consumed that affects your health. If ordering a side of guacamole with your chicken fajita, snacking on a handful of mixed nuts, and sautéing your favorite vegetables in olive oil and garlic all sound appealing to you, you're already a fan of healthy fat. The reason these foods -- avocados, nuts, and olive oil -- are considered healthy fats is because of the type of fatty acids they contain. These and other foods we think of as fat -- oils, butter, margarine, the fat surrounding a steak or under the skin of a chicken -- are actually composed of different types of fatty acids. And it's the fatty acids that are either good or bad for your body.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Fats

All About YOU: Getting More Better-for-You Fats
Corn oil, margarine, steak . . . if these items make a regular appearance in your diet, you may need more "3s." That's omega-3s—found in foods like f...
Is a diet high in fat linked to various cancers?
Poor diet can have a damaging effect on many fronts. You may not eat enough foods containing protect...
How much fat should I consume each day?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
Try to limit your fat to no more that 30% of your total caloric intake. For example, an individual o...
What Types of Fats Should I Choose for a Healthy Diet?